Saturday, July 10, 2010

Cross cake decorator off my list of plausible career choices..

The Chiefs on the food network and TLC lie. They make everything look so easy. They convince you that you, a normal average Jo can bake masterpieces! They place thoughts in your head. Thoughts like " Hey! He looks normal! I look normal! I can make toast, thus I can totally do that!" Only to have you realize halfway through your house burning down that no you cannot dazzle everyone with a masterpiece constructed out of sugar and cake.
Sometime last night I had the brilliant thought that I could not only make a cake but I could also decorate it with fondant!
I made drawings!
I looked it up on the Internet!
I made lists!
I remembered I couldn't bake a cake to save my life!
So, I reevaluated. I decided that what I really wanted to do was use fondant, so I decided to make cake out of the box.
I made more lists!
I made new drawings!
I made phone calls looking for ingredients!
I watched Invader Zim!
The next day I went to the grocery pharmacy to buy glycerin. A quick note to anyone buying glycerin, it comes in a bottle and looks like poison! I was so nervous that I was going to be accused by someone of trying to poison my boyfriend. I also bought 3 friggin pounds (!!) of icing sugar.
Everything went okie dokie, until I overfilled the cake pans and they spilled over onto the heating element and caught on fire! Smoke billowed out of the oven while I ran around like a chicken without a head. Eventually everything got under control and started again.
Let me make this clear, FONDANT IS NOT EASY! Took me 5 hours!
Here, for your viewing pleasure is my cake :)

No comments:

Post a Comment